Action Centre is a community centre for physically disabled adults living in and around Montreal. We provide a warm, welcoming environment for socialization, mental and physical stimulation, and education. We have a variety of programs, activities, and outings which foster self-confidence, independence, and well-being among our members. Having recently completed a new strategic plan, we are looking for an Executive Director who can implement the plan and lead the Centre’s growth. We are looking for a trailblazer who will take initiative and bring Action Centre to the forefront of community-based services for adults with physical disabilities.
The Board of Directors and the Executive Director set the strategic direction of the organization. The Executive Director works with the Program Coordinator and other staff to insure its implementation. The Executive Director also is responsible for insuring effective day-to-day operations, sound financial and human resource management practices, and a commitment to implementing activities which reflect the Centre’s mission.
Reporting to the President of the Board of Directors of Action Centre, the Executive Director has the following responsibilities:
Community Development and External Relations;
- Develop and maintain a community presence as a leader on issues pertinent to adults with physical disabilities.
- Ensure media relations on pertinent issues.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organization (television, radio, newspaper, social media)
- Develop new initiatives and projects with other community organizations.
- Contribute to, and participate in relevant presentations, panels, conferences, publications.
- Maintain membership on key community committees and relevant ad-hoc committees.
- Develop and maintain strong government relations (MNA’s, MPs, Ministers, borough mayors and councillors)
- Oversee the development and implementation the Centre’s communications and marketing plan, and development of communication, public relations, and marketing tools (e.g., social media, brochure, website, and more)
- Take a leadership role in publicly advocating for the needs and well-being of adults with physical disabilities in both government and private forums.
- Be present and involved in government policy-making processes as they affect adults with physical disabilities.
- Contribute to online and print media opinion pieces in support of improving the quality of life of adults with physical disabilities.
Philanthropy and Funding Programs
- Maintain open, ongoing communication with Habilitas Foundation.
- Work with Habilitas Foundation and other partners towards increasing and diversifying the donor base for the Centre’s growth and financial sustainability.
- Seek new alliances with relevant foundations and apply for funding.
- Apply for and manage major multi-year grant applications.
- Comply with grant and foundation reporting requirements.
- Maintain strong funder relations (individual donors, corporate donors, foundations, government funders).
- Plan and implement fundraising activities with Habilitas Foundation.
- Seek research partnerships with universities in Montreal and elsewhere.
- Collaborate with researchers and contribute to peer-reviewed academic publications.
- Attend relevant annual academic conferences and present papers on research activities and new initiatives on programming for adults with physical disabilities.
- Develop and maintain strong Board relations and participation.
- Advise the Board on all aspects of the Centre’s operations.
- Ensure continuity of Board membership through the Board recruitment process.
- Regularly review organizational policies, procedures and processes and advise the Board when changes are needed.
- Support Board activities in their role to insure good governance: attend all Board meetings, regularly schedule meetings, insure the preparation of meeting materials, take minutes (or assign to Administrative Assistant), report on all issues concerning Action Centre and provide regular updates, organize and hold regular annual meetings and special meetings as needed, report on progress of the implementation of the strategic plan, prepare and publish the annual report, as well as other Board-related tasks
- Prepare and implement annual action plans relating to the strategic plan.
- Monitor the progress of action plans and results.
- Organize and coordinate future strategic planning exercises.
- Sign correspondence, contracts, and other agreements on behalf of Action Centre according to its By-Laws and organizational policies.
- Oversee planning and implementation of the Centre’s programs and services and ensure that they reflect the Centre’s mission.
- Directly supervise the Administrative Assistant and Program Coordinator.
- Ensure statistical reports are produced and reviewed monthly.
- Ensure program evaluations are carried out annually.
- Oversee communication with the premises’ landlord.
- Prepare the annual budget and monitor revenues and expenses.
- Monitor financial position (cash flow) and review monthly reports.
- Ensure that sound accounting practices are in place including tax reporting/payments and payments of deductions at source.
- Prepare financial reports as needed by funders.
- Approve the payroll.
- Undertake all banking transactions.
- Supervise the accounting or financial management services provided by staff or external resources (contractual work)
- Organize and oversee audit preparations and preparation of financial statements.
Human Resource Development and Management
- Ensure Human Resource policies and procedures are up to date and respected.
- Maintain effective and efficient staffing levels.
- Ensure that staff receive orientation, training, and professional development programs as needed.
- Provide a healthy, safe, and harmonious work environment.
- Approve hiring of all new employees.
Salary: $75,000 per year
Permanent, full-time - 35 hours per week
4 weeks annual vacation
5 paid sick says per year.
Paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s
Education and Experience:
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Master’s degree an asset.
8 – 10 years senior management experience in a non-profit organization
Experience with media relations and external stakeholders
Extensive experience in successful fundraising
Leadership experience in guiding and managing organizational change.
Knowledge of issues relating to adults with physical disabilities an asset.
Bilingual (written and spoken)
Skills and qualities:
Creative and strategic thinker
Ability to embrace and institute change.
Excellent communication skills
Digital Literacy - Microsoft Office, Zoom
To apply, send your CV by March 19, 2021 to: email@example.com
© Action Centre. All